St. Louis Breast Cancer Coalition (SLBCC) Recent Highlights
1) SLBCC served on the National Breast Cancer Coalition's (NBCC) Board of Directors
2) SLBCC was a member of the Missouri Coalition for Oral Chemo Parity: The Oral Chemo parity bill became law in Missouri in March 2014, requiring insurance companies to cover oral chemotherapy drugs at the same rate as traditional infusion chemotherapy drugs.
3) SLBCC participated in the annual NBCC Leadership Summits and Lobby Days
4) SLBCC secured Senator Blunt and all Missouri Representatives as co-sponsors of the Accelerating the End of Breast Cancer Act: This act would create a Commission comprised of representatives in biomedical research, business, breast cancer advocacy, and other disciplines who have demonstrated an ability to be innovative. The Commission would be tasked with identifying promising opportunities, tools, technology and ideas not currently being prioritized for breast cancer, but hold promise in ending the disease.
5) SLBCC successfully advocated for continued funding of the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research program, which funds innovative, high risk, high reward, transparent, peer reviewed breast cancer research.
6) SLBCC provided educational outreach regarding NBCC's Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 Campaign to the following:
-Breast Cancer Awareness Program-Columbia Missouri
-St Louis Community College Forest Park-Student Government group
-Cancer Agencies Network Cancer Wellness Day
-Young Women's Breast Cancer Program Annual Symposium
-The Breakfast Club
-Girls' Night Out Support Group-SSM St. Mary's Health Center
-Give Cancer the Boot-Christian Hospital
-Christian Hospital Breast Cancer Support Group
-University of Missouri St Louis-Black Women's Breast Cancer Symposium
-Breast Cancer researchers at Washington University School of Medicine and St. Louis University School of Medicine
7) SLBCC hosted a Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 community event with Fran Visco, NBCC President, at the Danforth Plant Science Center.
8) SLBCC planned and facilitated a meeting with Fran Visco, NBCC President, and Washington University Breast Cancer researchers to discuss Breast Cancer Deadline 2020. This meeting resulted in an additional Wash U researcher becoming a collaborative member of the Breast Cancer Deadline 2020 Artemis Project research on stopping metastasis.